What Is Veeam?
Veeam is a software company that specializes in data protection, backup, and disaster recovery solutions for virtual, physical, and cloud-based workloads. Founded in 2006, Veeam provides products and services that help organizations ensure business continuity, minimize downtime, and protect critical data in case of hardware failures, human errors, or natural disasters.
In this article:
Primary Veeam Software Solutions
Veeam Backup & Replication
Veeam Backup & Replication is a data protection solution designed for virtual, physical, and cloud environments. It offers reliable backup, recovery, and replication capabilities, ensuring business continuity and minimal downtime in case of disasters or data loss.
Here are the main features:
- Multi-platform support: VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V, Nutanix AHV, and physical systems.
- Cloud-native backup and recovery: Integration with major public clouds, including AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform and private/hybrid clouds, such as Cloudian..
- Instant VM Recovery: Restore virtual machines within minutes, reducing downtime.
- Built-in WAN acceleration: Efficiently transfer backups offsite or to the cloud.
- Application-aware processing: Ensure application consistency during backups for critical applications like Microsoft Exchange, SQL Server, SharePoint, and Oracle.
- Encryption and security: Secure data in transit and at rest using AES-256 encryption.
Veeam ONE is a comprehensive monitoring, reporting, and analytics solution for virtual, physical, and cloud environments. It provides IT administrators with complete visibility and control over their infrastructure, helping them proactively identify and resolve issues before they impact business operations.
Here are the main features:
- Real-time monitoring and alerting: Monitor the performance and status of virtual machines, hosts, and datastores.
- Infrastructure reporting: Generate customizable reports on resource usage, performance, and capacity planning.
- Backup and replication reporting: Track backup and replication jobs, monitor their success, and forecast resource requirements.
- Business view: Organize and categorize infrastructure elements based on business units, departments, or locations for better visibility and management.
- Predictive analytics: Detect potential issues and provide recommendations for proactive problem resolution.
Veeam Recovery Orchestrator
Veeam’s Orchestrator is a disaster recovery planning and automation solution designed to ensure business continuity in case of disasters or data loss. It simplifies the management and execution of disaster recovery plans, automates testing, and provides comprehensive documentation.
Here are the main features:
- Disaster recovery (DR) plan management: Create, update, and execute DR plans with ease.
- DR testing and validation: Automate testing and validation of DR plans to ensure their effectiveness and compliance.
- Built-in documentation: Generate detailed reports and documentation for DR plans, including plan status, testing results, and recovery steps.
- Integration with Veeam Backup & Replication: Leverage existing Veeam backups and replicas for efficient disaster recovery.
- Orchestration and automation: Automate failover, failback, and recovery processes to minimize downtime and manual intervention.
Learn more in our detailed guide to Veeam disaster recovery (coming soon)
Use Cases for Using Veeam Products
Veeam’s data protection, backup, and disaster recovery solutions cater to a wide range of use cases, helping organizations of different sizes and industries address their data protection needs. Some common use cases for Veeam products include:
- Virtual environment backup and recovery: Veeam Backup & Replication provides comprehensive backup and recovery capabilities for virtual environments, including VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V. This helps organizations protect their virtual machines (VMs), applications, and data, ensuring business continuity and reducing the risk of data loss.
- Physical server and workstation backup: Veeam Agents for Windows, Linux, and macOS enable organizations to protect their physical servers and workstations, ensuring that critical data and systems are backed up and can be recovered in case of hardware failure, accidental deletion, or other disasters.
- Microsoft Office 365 data protection: Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 helps organizations protect their Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, and OneDrive for Business data, ensuring that important emails, documents, and other files can be quickly recovered in case of data loss or accidental deletion.
- Cloud Data Protection: Veeam provides backup and recovery solutions for cloud-based workloads, including those running on Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform. This helps organizations protect their cloud-based data and applications, ensuring that they can be quickly recovered in case of an outage or disaster.
- Disaster recovery orchestration: Veeam Availability Orchestrator simplifies the planning, testing, and execution of disaster recovery plans, helping organizations ensure that they can quickly and reliably recover their critical systems in case of an outage or disaster.
- Remote office/branch office (ROBO) data protection: Veeam’s solutions can be used to protect data and applications in remote offices and branch locations, ensuring that these sites are backed up and can be quickly recovered in case of an outage or disaster.
- Data archiving and long-term retention: Veeam’s solutions support various storage options, including on-premises, cloud-based, and hybrid storage, enabling organizations to archive their backup data for long-term retention and compliance purposes.
- Monitoring and analytics: Veeam ONE provides visibility into the performance, configuration, and utilization of virtual and physical environments, helping organizations optimize resources, troubleshoot issues, and ensure the efficient operation of their infrastructure.
10 Steps to Implementing Veeam Solutions in Your Organization
Implementing Veeam solutions in your organization involves several steps, including planning, installation, configuration, and testing. Here’s a general outline of the process:
- Assess your organization’s needs
Identify the systems, applications, and data that require protection, and determine the appropriate Veeam products for your environment. Consider factors such as virtualization platforms, physical servers and workstations, cloud-based workloads, and Microsoft Office 365 data.
- Plan your backup and recovery strategy
Determine the backup frequency, retention policies, and recovery objectives (Recovery Time Objectives or RTO, and Recovery Point Objectives or RPO) for your organization. Identify the storage solutions you will use for backup repositories, including on-premises, cloud-based, and hybrid storage options.
- Evaluate system requirements
Review the system requirements for the selected Veeam products, and ensure that your environment meets these requirements. This includes hardware, software, and network resources needed for the Veeam components, such as the Veeam Backup Server, Veeam Backup & Replication Console, and Veeam Backup Proxies.
- Install Veeam software
Download and install the Veeam software on the appropriate systems in your environment, following the product documentation and installation guides. For example, install Veeam Backup & Replication on a dedicated server or virtual machine, and deploy Veeam Agents on physical servers and workstations.
- Configure Veeam components
Set up and configure the Veeam components according to your organization’s backup and recovery strategy. This includes creating backup repositories, configuring backup proxies, setting up backup jobs, and configuring replication tasks if necessary. For Microsoft Office 365 data protection, configure Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 with the appropriate access credentials and settings.
- Implement security best practices
Ensure that your Veeam implementation follows security best practices, such as using encryption for backup data, enabling secure communication between components, and implementing strong authentication and access controls.
- Test backup and recovery processes
Perform test backups and recoveries to verify that your Veeam implementation is functioning correctly and meeting your organization’s recovery objectives. Regularly test your disaster recovery plans, including failover and failback processes, using tools like Veeam Availability Orchestrator.
- Monitor and optimize your environment
Use Veeam ONE to monitor the performance, configuration, and utilization of your virtual and physical environments. Analyze the collected data to optimize resource usage, troubleshoot issues, and ensure the efficient operation of your infrastructure.
- Schedule regular maintenance and updates
Keep your Veeam software up-to-date by applying patches and updates as they become available. Perform regular maintenance tasks, such as checking backup repositories for integrity, validating backup files, and updating Veeam Agents on protected systems.
- Train your IT team
Ensure that your IT staff is familiar with the Veeam products and processes, including backup and recovery procedures, disaster recovery planning, and Veeam ONE monitoring and analytics.
By following these steps, you can successfully implement Veeam solutions in your organization and achieve reliable data protection, backup, and disaster recovery capabilities.
Related content: Read our guide to Veeam best practices (coming soon)
Veeam with Cloudian
Cloudian is a reliable and feature-rich object storage platform that offers many advantages when integrating with Veeam.
Here are some reasons why Cloudian is considered the best choice for Veeam:
- Compatibility and Integration: Cloudian Object Storage is fully compatible with Veeam Backup & Replication, ensuring a seamless integration experience. Veeam has tested and verified the compatibility, providing a validated configuration for users. This compatibility translates to a reliable and supported integration between the two solutions.
- S3-Compatible API: Cloudian follows the S3-compatible API, which is widely adopted and supported by various applications and cloud services, including Veeam. This compatibility simplifies the integration process and allows Veeam to communicate and work efficiently with Cloudian Object Storage.
- Scalability: Cloudian offers exceptional scalability, allowing you to expand your storage capacity seamlessly. With Cloudian’s architecture, you can easily add additional nodes to the cluster as your backup needs grow, ensuring that your storage scales in tandem with your data growth. This scalability makes Cloudian well-suited for accommodating large-scale backups and long-term data retention.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Cloudian’s object storage platform is extremely cost-effective compared to traditional storage solutions. Cloudian enables you to leverage industry standard hardware, reducing the total cost of ownership. Additionally, the ability to scale storage capacity without the need for expensive primary storage arrays helps control costs, making it an attractive choice for backup and long-term retention purposes.
- Data Protection and Durability: Cloudian offers advanced data protection features, including erasure coding and data replication. These mechanisms ensure the durability and availability of your backup data, protecting it against hardware failures and providing high data resiliency. This level of data protection is crucial for backup repositories to ensure data integrity and successful restore operations.
- Immutability and Object Lock: Cloudian Object Storage provides an Object Lock feature that prevents the modification or deletion of backup data, allowing you to create immutable backups. Immutable backups are protected against ransomware and other forms of data alteration since they cannot be modified or deleted until the immutability period expires. This feature enhances the security and integrity of your backup data.
- Hybrid and Multi-Cloud Capabilities: Cloudian supports hybrid cloud and multi-cloud environments, allowing you to integrate on-premises Cloudian storage with public cloud providers like AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud. This flexibility enables you to adopt a hybrid cloud strategy or leverage multiple clouds for your backup and data management needs while maintaining control over your data.
- Management and Monitoring: Cloudian provides a user-friendly management interface that simplifies storage administration tasks. Additionally, Cloudian offers monitoring and analytics capabilities, allowing you to gain insights into your storage usage, performance, and capacity planning. These management and monitoring features contribute to the overall ease of use and efficient management of your backup infrastructure.
Learn more about the Cloudian and Veeam partnership