In the ever-evolving landscape of data management and storage solutions, Cloudian HyperStore stands out, providing businesses with unmatched advantages in data protection, resilience, compliance adherence, and efficient data management. With the recent release of HyperStore 7.5.2 software, Cloudian has enhanced its capabilities, specifically tailored for enterprise-class data backup between Cloudian HyperStore clusters. Explore this blog to uncover the myriad of benefits and real-world applications when utilizing Cloudian HyperStore for your enterprise data backup requirements.
Enterprise-Class Data Backup: The Added Benefit of Cost Savings
Before diving into the details, let’s grasp the essence of enterprise data backup within the Cloudian HyperStore ecosystem. This integration offers a straightforward and efficient way to safeguard your data stored in one Cloudian HyperStore cluster by creating redundant, secure copies in another, ensuring data availability and integrity. And the best part is that Cloudian software accomplishes this at no additional cost in your HyperStore capacity licensing!
Understanding Data Backup with Cloudian HyperStore
Cloudian HyperStore’s ability to backup one HyperStore cluster to another is a game-changer. It represents a “doubling down” on data redundancy, disaster recovery, and business continuity. By replicating your data across separate, configurable clusters, you create a dependable safety net against data corruption, inadvertent deletions, or regional disruptions, ensuring uninterrupted business operations.
Customer Requirements Driving the Solution
Let’s start by identifying the key customer requirements that lead to the adoption of Cloudian HyperStore for enterprise data backup:
- Enable a way to provide a backup copy of an S3 Bucket located at another site.
- Protect stored objects on the source and target from accidental deletion.
- Ensure objects remain readable after accidental deletion within a specified time window.
- Guarantee the most current version (latest copy) is always available until deleted by the user from the source/original bucket.
Now, let’s delve into the advantages of using Cloudian HyperStore for enterprise data backup.
Advantages of Cloudian HyperStore for Data Backup
- Data Redundancy and Disaster Recovery
Cloudian HyperStore, with its enterprise data backup capabilities, establishes a robust solution for data redundancy and disaster recovery. By replicating your data across separate clusters, you create a dependable safety net against data corruption, inadvertent deletions, or regional disruptions, ensuring uninterrupted business operations.
- Compliance and Data Retention
In an era of strict data regulations, compliance is imperative. Cloudian HyperStore’s data backup effortlessly facilitates compliance with data retention requirements. Moreover, with the HyperStore Object Lock capability, your data remains immutable throughout the specified retention period, ensuring compliance adherence without compromise.
- Multi-Cluster Deployments and Seamless Collaboration
For organizations managing their data across multiple clusters or collaborating across geographically dispersed teams, Cloudian HyperStore’s data backup streamlines data synchronization. It provides everyone with access to the same dataset, facilitating collaboration and reducing data access latency.
- Protection Against Accidental Deletions
Cloudian HyperStore for data backup simplifies the implementation of policies to safeguard against accidental deletions. By configuring retention policies and access controls, you significantly reduce the risk of data loss due to human error.
- Efficient Data Management and Cost Optimization
Effective data management involves not only protection but also efficiency. Cloudian’s data backup empowers you to create lifecycle policies that intelligently transition data between storage classes and storage media types, optimizing storage costs without compromising data accessibility.
Now, let’s provide an overview of how to implement Cloudian HyperStore for enterprise data backup:
- Uses two Cloudian HyperStore clusters, one designated as the source system and the other as the target system.
- Lifecycle Transition Policies are applied on the source cluster to tier objects while ensuring a local copy is maintained on the source cluster.
- Bucket Permission policy is used to prevent manual deletions on the target cluster.
How to Configure
Here’s a step-by-step guide to configuring Cloudian HyperStore for enterprise data backup:
- Set up two HyperStore clusters, designating one as the source and the other as the target.
- Create a bucket on target cluster and enable Object Lock (Compliance/Certified License Mode), specifying Bucket Life Cycle Non-Current Version Expiration with the NonCurrentDays value. Make sure to configure NonCurrentDays to be greater than the object lock retention time.
- Implement a Bucket Permission policy on the target cluster to prevent manual deletions.
- Configure Lifecycle Transition Policies on the source cluster to tier objects. The source bucket should be a standard bucket without Versioning and ensuring a local copy is maintained.
- Deletes should not be performed and CRR (Cross-Region Replication) should be configured on buckets in the target cluster.
In conclusion, the robust enhancements supporting Cloudian HyperStore’s enterprise data backup capabilities represent a “doubling down” on your data management and protection strategy. This amalgamation delivers a multitude of benefits, ranging from data redundancy and disaster recovery to compliance adherence and cost optimization. By harnessing Cloudian HyperStore for enterprise data backup, you unlock new dimensions of data resilience and operational efficiency within your organization. Begin exploring these capabilities today and fortify your data with confidence, backed by the proven excellence of Cloudian HyperStore.
As technology continues to advance, your data management solutions should too. Cloudian HyperStore is your partner in safeguarding your data’s future.
Stay tuned for more insights and updates on enterprise data backup and storage solutions.
Glenn Haley, Senior Director of Product Management, Cloudian